Of course, I've always been happiest in winter

Snow, biting fresh air, the sting of the wind on your cheeks- perhaps the sweetest sensation on earth. What is better than a twinge of cold to remind you to breathe deeply and take in all that is around you?

I told myself that I liked most weather. Sun is lovely, rain is refreshing, wind is beautiful, but snow is what I live for. I didn't know I missed it until it started- a glance out my living room window told me it was finally truly winter, and I felt a surge of delight that I've missed. For the past weeks Tanis and I have been saying "it's beginning to look a lot like September", in denial of the time that's passed or that it could possibly be nearly Christmas before we felt anywhere near ready. 

Last week I quit my job to move onto something else- that job was really taking a toll on me and I needed to find a new place. Now I'm starting a job at Westeck Windows and Doors on January 6, just after the Christmas/New Years season. And I feel like I might be finding friends here- yesterday (on the one clear day before snow!) I went on a hike with someone who could become a good friend, and of course I have Tanis and Bethany, and I have Melissa and Deanna and Ben who are lovely. Now that I'll be working fewer hours on a more predictable schedule, I'm thinking of going back to learning Hebrew. So things are looking up.

It's warmer inside sometimes. The snow reminds me of a happier time, and that happiness isn't everything. It's enough to be in step with God, learning, and growing. Perhaps I'm not as happy as I was last year, but I'm more certain of myself, and perhaps it'll be back soon. Just over the horizon I can see a sliver of light, like the sun is finally preparing to rise again. I'm optimistic, and I'm ready. 

I'll be here, making it through. This year hasn't been what I expected or at all what I hoped, but last year this time I was already saying I had no idea where I'd be now. And I never could have guessed. It's the same now- I don't know where I'm going, but I'm moving forward, and that's enough. 

Snow from my porch

Southside church's light display (bad photo but a great idea!)

Chai latte and mocha from the Little Beetle Bistro down the road from our hous

(Almost) all of my plants! I repotted everything and am hoping they do well

Rainbow with low clouds. The purple and orange grow lights create a beautiful light behind the greenhouses


- Aliya

Comments

Popular Posts