Lobster, some confusion regarding the sun, and other things

As my roommate accurately pointed out, I am a 'landlocked Canadian' in every way, meaning that I haven't experienced a lot of coastal experiences. Today Maxine bought four lobsters and invited me to join her and her son and daughter-in-law to eat them. I'd never had lobster before (or at least not whole), so of course I took the chance. It was unusual for me. The lobsters were shipped up here live, with elastics around their pinchers, and Maxine had them live in a bag in her fridge until it was time to cook them. Then she boiled them in a large pot until they were red (and dead). We ate them by twisting off their limbs and tail and cracking the hard shell with plyers and a hammer, then dipped the pieces in garlic butter. My lobster had roe inside the body and into the tail, which was bitter and a bit grainy, and I also ate a little of the green tomalley inside, which I later learned is the lobster's digestive system. 

Maxine took this picture for me and laughed that my hair was almost the same colour as the lobster (or sea bug, as she also called them).

Jazlin, Jonathan, and I with lobster.

It's sunny out today, and beautifully clear.

This afternoon! I ate my lunch out on my porch in the sun.

This is a better view of where the drainage water pours into the bay.

In other news, Maxine has decided to go to her family in Newfoundland to help with a sort of family emergency, and she's leaving soon for that. She's decided to stay there for the summer and only come back for the start of school next year. When she leaves I'll stay here, and when it's time for me to leave I'll hand my key over to Maxine's son. So for the next month at least that I'm here, I'll live on my own, which will be an interesting new experience.

I'll also be here by myself over my birthday, which I think will be a lovely time. I intend to bring cupcakes to a bunch of people who probably have no idea it's my birthday and eat them with them on their porches or something. And then I'll finally be able to sign my own legal paperwork. And get my ears pierced without parental consent.


And finally, someone needs to explain to me how the sun works here. I took the picture above at 2:00 am, which is after dawn right now. So why was the light still in the West, when the sun is set to rise in an hour and a half? Is it going to move just behind the horizon until it's back in the East? I am VERY tempted to wait up and watch it, but I intend to visit the river tomorrow, which will take most of the day, so instead I am going to sleep. Theoretically. 

- Aliya

Comments

Popular Posts