Frostbite and the Bay

Frostbite is basically a sunburn, just really localized.

You can get frostbite at like -20, but it's a whole lot easier at -30 with wind gusting to 100kph. I've had frostbite before, but only mild frostbite. Frostbite goes in stages: frostnip first- red skin from being in the cold with no permanent damage, mild/moderated frostbite next- this is frostbite ranging from red face with faint white circles on the cheeks, to completely white skin in defined shapes. This comes with some skin damage, like a sunburn. The final stage is severe frostbite- blackened, purple-ish, or waxy skin with damage all through the epidermis. This kind leads to amputation or permanent loss of sensation.

On Sunday, we had the first blizzard of the year. It wasn't as cold as it could have been (probably -25), but with winds up to 100 kph, it was frostbite weather. I planned to walk to someone's house in the afternoon with Maxine, so we bundled up and went. I didn't wear goggles or a balaclava-  I can't stand having my mouth and nose covered and avoid it at all costs. It was so cold in the wind. I didn't expect it to feel so cold, and I could feel snow accumulating on my face as the wind pushed it into me. I walked for six minutes, took this picture, and hurried inside.

I couldn't actually see my screen when I took this picture, and didn't realize that my cheeks were frostbitten. When I walked inside and felt how cold and hard my cheeks were, I thought they were snow caked. I had no feeling in the white areas and thought they were layered in snow and ice. They weren't; they were frostbitten.


I took this picture the night I had frostbite, maybe five hours later.


The next day. Still red circles. Now the red circles have peeled and look like they might again. No blisters, though. I've been wearing a balaclava since Sunday, because refreezing after frostbite is when permanent damage happens, and I don't need dark circles permanently marked on my face. It should start warming up soon, anyway, and then I'll have the awkward phase when I don't have a proper jacket and I can either wear my big jacket and be too warm and get laughed at OR wear several layers of sweaters and a leather jacket and be slightly cold. I haven't decided yet. But at least I won't get any more frostbite!

I risked more frostbite today while I was walking back from church. The bay freezes completely, but, as the tides change, water sometimes forces its way up through the ice and forms puddles on the ice that freeze smooth and slippery. I've never seen it happen before- I've seen the flat areas that occur as a result, but I've been hoping to see the water flowing up since the bay froze. Today as I was walking home in the dark I noticed how smooth a section of the bay edge was and decided to go slide on it briefly. I slid a few feet out, then hit water. It was cold enough that the water was beginning to freeze even as it flowed, but it was truly fascinating to see the force of the water, pressing out through many feet of ice. I spent a while out there, just watching the steady flow of water crossing the ice.

The design of it is incredible. I live from awe to awe right now, just constantly amazed by so many things I've never experienced, seen, or imagined before. I know that all created is the work of the Creator, and it's amazing to know that the same God who controls the tides cares to know my name and everything about me. What could I fear, when the God who holds all cares for me?

- Aliya

Comments

Popular Posts