Is grocery store proficiency a requirement of adulthood?

I'm pretty sure I will never be able to return something to the grocery store. Apparently people do that? Just- bring back fruit or meat that's moldy or gone bad?

Like, what? I could never.

I'm a confident, bordering on bossy woman at the pool. That's my domain- I know what I'm doing, I'm good at it, and I'm the expert (to some extent). As soon as I leave the confines of an Aquatic area and enter the real world, I revert to self-conscious high schooler.

Proof: Ventures closes at 10:00pm every night. Today at 9:15 pm I was sitting in my bedroom when I realized that I wanted some ramen. Since I have more than 89 cents in my bank account, I thought 'I have time- why don't I go get some from the grocery store'. I also needed several other things. Instead of leaving, I sat on my bed for five more minutes trying to decide if I was sure I could finish shopping and get out of the store before closing. 9:20, I finally walked out the door. 9:25, 35 minutes before closing, I arrived at Ventures. Before I walked up the stairs, the manager walked out the door. I IMMEDIATELY freaked out just a little and stopped, pulled my phone out to check the time, and went 'oh no! Only 35 minutes until closing!'

Keep in mind that I was standing right in front of the store with my mental list of:
- 1 package of ramen
- 4 McIntosh apples
- 1 package of chicken thighs
- and a quick check for Valentine's candy on sale

Against the wishes of half of my brain, I went in. I got my ramen (debated between 89 cents ramen and $1.29 ramen VERY briefly- time constraints), got my apples, got my chicken, and skipped the candy because the manager had come back in and was standing in the isle and I wouldn't want to disturb him during closing.

I checked out as usual- almost apologized to the cashier because the ramen package was wrinkled and didn't scan the first two tries, but held back- and got out as fast as I could.

Finally checked the time on my phone when I arrived back home- it was 9:35. It's 9:55 now. I was so concerned about the time- I had enough time to get groceries, make ramen, AND write the start of a blog post.

So no. I won't be returning any bad meat. I'll throw it out and probably apologize to the cashier for the inconvenience when I buy a replacement.

- Aliya

Comments

Popular Posts