All that is lovely

Iqaluit is a wonderful little city. Today I stood beside the high school looking over the core area (freezing at -50 without my good clothing on), just in awe of the view.

Sun still up at 1:30 and a perfectly clear blue sky over the core area.

Some notable things: 1) my house and Ventures, 2) Northmart, 3) the Aquatic Centre, 4) my church

A coworker invited me to join him and some visiting friends at an igloo building workshop yesterday, and I agreed to go. I've built cheating igloos before- packing spring snow into molds, then piling up the bricks, but never a genuine igloo. There is not packable snow in Iqaluit during igloo season, but the snow does harden into drifts which can be cut with a snow knife (panna) and piled into an igloo. I was planning to walk to his house, then catch a cab to Apex with him and his friends  to start the workshop, so I was up early on Friday morning to dress warmly and get to his house. When I was halfway to his house, he called me to inform me that the workshop had been cancelled due to cold weather (-50 is too cold to spend hours assembling an igloo), but said that I could still come to his house to play cards with them, so I did. It was a really nice morning altogether, and then I went to work for the afternoon and evening. This post isn't about work though.

The chance to learn stuff like how to build an igloo is a great example of things that make me want to stay here. Other things that make me want to stay are (or, as I titled this list when I wrote it on paper: I'm staying right here because...):

- the independence I have here (I'm not going back to Lac La Biche unless it's to manage the pool there someday)
- the important role I play at the Aquatic Centre
- the kids who always come to open swim and talk to me
- getting to mentor instructors
- Maxine
- my plans to better the Aquatic Centre
- womens' Bible study
- sunsets from the breakwater
- my bronze classes
- advancement opportunities
- getting to know lifeguards here
- the pastor's family (especially Julia, who sits by me in church sometimes, Mary Beth, who shares my favourite colour, animal, and birth month, Eden, who is just warming up to me, and Loretta, the pastor's wife, who first made me feel welcome here)
- my relationship with Marcus, Rubina, and fitness center Nick
- the management experience I'm getting

Between all of those things, I have much to be happy with. Most of my life really is fantastic right now. I'm growing and changing, and I look forward to whatever is in store next. For now, I'm staying here. I might never leave.

- Aliya



Comments

Popular Posts