Functionally Just Cold

-50°C is functionally the same as -40 with the added benefit of frostbite after minutes on exposed skin. Functionally the same because at both -40 and -50 you have to wear full winter clothing for even short periods outside, but after a few days of -50, -40 doesn't feel so cold. I took off my mittens outside to text my mother back today when it warmed up to to -35. Felt like definitive proof of global warming after preparing and dressing for -50 (has it ever been this warm in Iqaluit before?? I don't remember). Yesterday I walked to church into the wind while it was -35 with wind chill to -50 and was happy for my ski goggles and warm jacket. My feet were warm, my torso was warm, my hands were warm, my legs below my jacket were cold (I only wore jeans and a base layer), and the half inch of exposed face between my goggles and jacket were incredibly cold. My nose froze closed on the way there, which was an odd sensation in every way, although not at all painful. Numb, maybe.

My outfit on the way to church and work- only about a half inch of skin exposed (and only that because I can't stand scarves)

It's a little warmer now. This morning on the way to work was cold, but as soon as the wind is gone it feels much warmer (wind chill is a 15° difference, after all).

I also booked flights back to Edmonton, so I'll be back in Lac La Biche January 26-29.

- Aliya

Comments

Popular Posts