Back in LLB Soon! +Bonus hippie rant

In six days, I will be flying back to Lac La Biche (or rather, flying in that general direction, then driving to Lac La Biche). It will be the first time I've flown alone, and my first time navigating Toronto's chaos airport, but I have travelled plenty with my family and should be able to manage. I'm travelling with a carry-on and personal item (nothing checked), but I am hoping to bring some things from LLB back with me to Iqaluit. These things include: my Old Testament word studies book, pencil crayons, and, if space allows, my teddy bear. I'm also planning to take a puzzle to put together with the pastor's family here- they also like puzzles, and they liked the idea of me bringing back a puzzle for them. I'm bringing back to Lac La Biche several secret items that I cannot describe here. They may be discussed in later posts. My personal item on the way there will be my entry into the tree topper contest, assuming that I actually finish it and it meets carry-on size requirements. No one could possibly think I'm stranger than I already know I am, so there is nothing to lose.

On the subject of strangeness, now that I've moved out, I've discovered even more that I hate to waste anything (food, wrappers, plastic casing, etc.). I find myself making purchasing decisions based largely upon the packaging. If it is cheaper to buy fruit in a plastic bag, I'm still buying the more expensive fruit from the bulk fruit area. I also don't buy the cheaper eggs in 18 packs, because the 18 packs are made of styrofoam rather than cardboard. Peanut butter jars have been a problem for me, since there is no other way to buy peanut butter and I consume quite a bit of it. However, the Aquatic Centre doesn't have a great solution for storing first aid supplies, and I think my empty peanut butter jars could solve that problem. I'll fill two with antiseptic wipes, and already the storage area will be much better managed. Now I still have some jam jars left over. I need to start canning. Actually I don't think I can use that kind of jar for canning. Single use plastics make me uncomfortable. That's my biggest problem with ordering things online. While it is the cheapest way to get non-perishables here, I can't choose how items are packaged like I sometimes can at the grocery store, and I don't like to open boxes and find extra plastic bags and packing materials. The ideal way to buy things, for my current lifestyle, would be at bulk stores that refill containers. I could bring my own containers, weigh them empty then full, and pay by weight for everything that I purchase. I would refill laundry detergent, dish soap, printer paper, peanut butter, sugar and flour: really anything that can be sold without extra packaging should be. The only thing that I currently think should be sold in packaging are thing things that need to be kept sterile (first aid supplies, mainly). This solution wouldn't be enjoyed by everyone, though, and it would be difficult to regulate and keep in business when in competition with convenient grocery stores with plastic bags and clamshell packaging. One exception that I make to my general rule of not purchasing anything intended for single use and then disposable is Ziploc bags. But even though they are intended to be disposable, I wash and reuse them. I also don't mind paper products, since they break down easily.

This post has turned into another hippie rant. I didn't mean to.

- Aliya

Comments

Popular Posts