Packing and Prepping

Two weeks until I begin work in Iqaluit, Nunavut. One week until I leave town, all packed up and ready to fly, first to Ottawa, then to Iqaluit. I have just finished spending hours searching for a way to locate my new rental house with only a house number. After trying house number maps (which were all outdated), apartment numbers, and an 2016 app that was not complete, I used the Nunavut elections page to search the constituency of the house number and then determined which street it was on based on that information. Every house in Iqaluit has a house number that is used in lieu of street address, and I will have to learn the system when I get there. For now I know the number and location of my house and the aquatic center.

I spent much of the day today making dry mix soups to bring with me. Most of them are bean based (protein options without expensive meat) and all are able to be cooked in boiling water in small portions. Between the four recipes that I made, I have about 50 meals prepacked in Ziploc freezer bags. I am imagining that my highest grocery expense will be fresh fruit, vegetables, and meat. Of course, that is what the Northern living allowance is for- increased cost of food and other necessities due to shipping prices. Iqaluit is not always accessible by boat, and never by car. All shipping during the winter is by airlift.

As I prepare, I am not feeling too stressed. Currently my biggest concern is how to safely transport my guitar. I have the benefit of owning a replaceable guitar, but I would prefer to keep it intact if possible. The research that I have done so far suggests loosening strings, adding a humidifier, stuffing the body and wrapping the neck with clothing, and securing the case. I intend to do all of those things and hope for the best. My guitar case is much too big to carry on, so that is out of the question (and so is going without my guitar! With more darkness than I am used to, I will need music to keep me going).

Things that I never considered have begun to show up as concerns, and it is becoming more frequent as I get closer to the time to leave. I am grateful to my parents for helping me think of things that I will require in Iqaluit that I didn't need here. After I complete my time in Iqaluit (however long it is), I will look back and see what I forgot and what was unnecessary. As for now, I will continue to think as clearly as I can to prepare properly for this relocation.

- A


Comments

Popular Posts