Three Weeks Until...

I am currently in my bedroom making an inventory on my phone of everything that I will bring with me to Iqaluit. I have been offered a job as the Head Lifeguard Instructor at the Iqaluit Aquatic Center, beginning in three weeks, conditional of a clear criminal record check and TB screen. Today will be my TB screen, which I believe will be a skin test. I have an uneasy feeling in my gut when thinking about moving, with all of the small pieces that have to fit into place. I need to change my phone plan, file taxes in Nunavut and Alberta, confirm rental accommodations, give notice at both of my main jobs here, find flights, buy my own groceries, buy some suitcases, somehow pack my life into a said suitcases, pack up my other stuff (like shorts and shirt sleeves shirts) into boxes in the shop, and somehow get ready to leave my family. This is the end. Three weeks left as a dependent in my parents' home. It is unlikely that I will ever return to live in their house. Visits, certainly. But I am leaving childhood to embrace a full-time career and my own life, out on my own in the far North.

Most of my summer clothes ready to packed into boxes in the shop. They'll wait there until I come back for camp in July.

I currently have three lists on my phone: left to resolve, left to buy, and what to pack. All three lists have been growing all day, and I expect them to continue. Next week Monday I will go with Tanis to the city to buy some supplies (like warm layers and better mittens). Tanis is taking this hard. She says she can't imagine life without me, and I believe her. I have always just been here, and, in three weeks, I won't be anymore. I'll still be in contact, but out of reach and out of sight. Kaylin and Silas are sad about me leaving as well, but Tanis has a closer connection with me. It hurts my heart a little to think of leaving them.

This whole thing is a little bittersweet. I am ready to leave, but I will miss what I have had here. It is nice to have a family to lean on, to turn to, to walk back towards when I get tired of being alone.

I have arranged rental accommodations with a 50 something woman named Maxine Chubbs. The lady who interviewed me is her neighbour and found me the place with her. I will have my own bedroom and a shared bathroom and kitchen.

I am ready, and yet a bit hesitant. Life is filled with great changes that bring great challenges, and all I can do is follow my path and turn my face to the sun.

Comments

Popular Posts