From the North to the Very North

I did not start this year intending to explore the world. I intended to save money and stay close to home for the year. And yet, when the chance came for me to move to Iqaluit, I took it. Iqaluit is far North, a Nunavut town of 7,700. Because it is the largest of 25 communities that make up Nunavut, it is considered a city by the locals. Lac La Biche is a Northern town, but, when compared to Iqaluit, it might as well be a southern state. While Lac La Biche's summers often reach 30°C, Iqaluit's summers rarely reach 15°C. The cost of living in Iqaluit is high, with rental accomodations starting at $1200/month for a bachelor suite, but pay is also high to offset the cost of living somewhat. Everyone who lives in Iqaluit receives a Northern living allowance intended to make purchasing housing and food more feasible.

I have applied for a job as the head lifeguard at the Iqaluit pool, and my interview is tomorrow morning at 8:00 by Skype. If I am offered the job, I will take it, conditional of finding housing. Rental availability is few and far between.

If I receive the position and move to Iqaluit, it will be a great adventure to one of the farthest North inhabited areas- I suppose one of the farthest reaches.

- Aliya

Comments

Popular Posts